In order to maintain good vision and keep your eyes healthy, regular eye exams are recommended. The frequency of these exams will depend on a patient’s age, family history, past medical and ocular history, and the symptoms being experienced. The Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls physicians and optometrists at North Idaho Eye can diagnose and treat many ocular and systemic conditions early on, hopefully avoiding visual impairment in the future.
Recommended intervals for eye exams and screenings are as follows:
- Birth: generally a screening eye exam is done by your pediatrician or primary care provider soon after birth
- Pre-School: a vision screening (not a full eye exam) is done either by the primary care physician or school nurse prior to starting school
- Childhood: intermittent screenings are done usually by the primary care provider or school nurse every 1-2 years
- 40 years old: baseline comprehensive eye exam even if no visual symptoms or risk factors- helps to establish a baseline of eye health
- 40-60 years old: regular exams every 2-4 years depending on risk factors, family history, and previous exam findings
- 65 years and older: regular exams every 1-2 years
Outside of these guidelines, an eye exam is warranted if new ocular symptoms arise, visual acuity changes, or trauma is involved. Please feel free to contact us if you feel it is time for an eye exam
What to expect from a comprehensive eye exam
The physicians and surgeons at North Idaho Eye perform comprehensive eye exams at both our Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls locations. Usually, this will include a full medical history, assessment of medications being used, documentation of all allergies, and a full description of any visual problems you are currently experiencing. Your vision will be assessed and updates to your current prescription will be recommended as needed. Your eyes will usually be dilated and a spectrum of tests and exams will help to identify potential eye diseases. Treatment or surgery will be offered if needed. Expect to be at the office for 1-1.5 hours for the exam and any ancillary testing that may be required.
Please click here if you would like to request an eye exam appointment with one of our Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls area eye doctors.